Design and Technology
Primrose Hill Church of England Academy understands that Design and Technology allows pupils to solve problems, think creatively and develop ideas.
We follow Kapow for our Design and Technology curriculum. Design &Technology offers pupils a chance to use creative thinking and activity within a defined purpose and tangible outcome. The school is committed to nurturing pupils’ curiosity and creativity, as well as preparing them for living in a modern world where technology is rapidly changing and advancing.
Our children as designer…
I am a designer. I develop my capability by combining my design and making skills with knowledge and understanding to learn how to create quality products. I like making decisions for myself and doing practical work. I love creating products I can see, touch – and even taste – for myself. I feel proud to have done so. I learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, and enterprising and a capable citizen.
D&T brings learning to life. It is a motivating context for discovering literacy, mathematics, science, art, PSHE and ICT. Primary Design and Technology also provides a firm basis for later learning in the subject and a platform for developing my skills in literacy and numeracy.
To develop the skills to be able to create an idea, design a plan and use the appropriate tools safely and competently make the product. To be aware of the hygiene required to handle and make food safely.
By teaching Design and Technology, we aim to help pupils:
- Develop their design and making skills.
- Develop their knowledge and understanding of design and technologies.
- Use a wide range of tools and materials.
- Learn about working safely and protective measures.
- Work individually and collaborate with other pupils in a variety of contexts.
- Develop the capability to create products of a high standard through skills and understanding.
- Evaluate products, made by themselves, their peer groups and companies.
- Explore the man-made world and encourage discussion of how we live and work within it.
- Develop an interest in and understanding of technological processes and the role of manufacturing in society.
- Learn the principles of nutrition, healthy eating and how to cook.
The impact and measure of our design and technology curriculum is to ensure that children at Primrose Hill Church of England Academy are equipped with the design and technology skills and knowledge that will enable them to be ready for the curriculum at Key Stage 3 and for life as an adult in the wider world.