As part of the Government’s Olympic Legacy Project, funding of £320 million per annum has been provided to primary schools in order to improve provision of PE and sports.
This funding is provided jointly by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. This funding is ring-fenced and therefore, can only be spent on provision of PE and sports in schools. Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport but have the freedom to choose how they do this. Eligible schools Funding for schools will be calculated by reference to the number of primary-aged pupils (between the ages of 5 and 11), as recorded in the annual schools census. Primrose Hill C of E receives £16000 and an additional payment of £10 per eligible pupil.
At Primrose Hill we are passionate about sport and recognise the importance that physical activity has on pupils’ lives.
We believe that a well-organised and engaging sports curriculum helps pupils develop confidence and a sense of achievement; it teaches pupils how to rise to a challenge, and nurtures the character and skills that will help them get on and succeed in life.
We aim to provide a positive and engaging experience in physical education at our school. The School Sport Premium will ensure that pupils are physically active and excited about sport at our school. As well as increasing fitness, we hope that pupils will appreciate teamwork and a healthy lifestyle – for life.
We will ensure this happens through:
- upskilling teachers to improve the quality of sports lessons
- increase the amount of competitive sports that our pupils participate in
- Maintain our Gold School Games award (for the third year in 2019) and work towards the platinum award next year
- invest in our pupils becoming sports leaders and seek opinions of the whole school
- Make links with other sports providers including local secondary schools
- ensure that any external coaches are of a similar high standard to our own teachers
- Introduce new and diverse sports to encourage more pupils to participate
- give extra support to pupils who are gifted and talented and pupils with Special Educational Needs
- offer more after school clubs