Art and Design
At Primrose Hill C of E we believe that art and design helps to engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art.
Primrose Hill C of E Academy is committed to encouraging pupils’ curiosity and creativity, allowing them to think critically and develop a thorough understanding of art and its place in the world, including how it reflects our history and contributes to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
We review the work of a wide range of artists and designers within art history and culture as well as modern local artists. We feel that this better equips our children to see local and world issues from other people’s perspectives.
Our children as an Artist …
I am an artist. I believe everything is possible when I’m being an artist. I feel empowered and inspired through my own art and others. I am able to consider and appreciate the art of others. I take risks, challenge myself and learn new skills along my artistic journey. I have the freedom to express my opinion, uniqueness and individuality. Art can take me anywhere, it brings me complete escapism and happiness. I explore the world I live in by following my creative ideas and imagination. I understand art can reflect myself, my community and the wider world!
By teaching art and design, we aim to ensure pupils:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing and painting, sculpture and other art techniques.
- Can evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art.
- Know about great artists and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Enjoy an active involvement in art.
- Have the confidence and skills to communicate their ideas through their artwork.
- Have opportunities to experience a broad and balanced range of art activities and show progression within these.
- Become visually literate and able to identify and apply the key elements of art.
- Are given equal access to the experience of art, regardless of their gender, race or disability.
- Can successfully make choices about tools and materials to produce a desired effect.
The impact and measure of our art and design curriculum is to ensure that children at Primrose Hill Church of England Academy are equipped with the artistic skills and knowledge that will enable them to be ready for the curriculum at Key Stage 3 and for life as an adult in the wider world.